Kadhai Paneer is a very famous North Indian dish and has spread all over the world.It has an irresistible flavor with the blend of Red,Green and Yellow Bell Peppers, dried Fenugreek leaves ,the cardamom and the asafetida.It is a very colorful dish too.
Actually the "kadhai" or "kadai" is one of the most commonly used kitchen utensils in Indian kitchen.Though it is mainly used for deep frying but delicious sabji,chicken or even meat are also prepared in this and hence the dishes adpot the word "kadhai' in their name.
Kadhai Paneer is not only a delicious dish but also it's very heathy and nutritious too.
Here is the recipe:
- 250 gm Cottage Cheese (Paneer)
- Bell peppers(3,red ,yellow and green)(chopped,not very finely)
- 3 Onion (make paste with two and coarsely chop the other)
- 4 Tomato(chopped)
- 1 " piece of Ginger (paste)
- 1/2 tsp garlic paste
- 2-3 whole red dry chilli.
- 1 tsp coriander seeds.
- 2 Bay Leaf
- 4 Cloves
- 1 piece Cinnamon
- 2 tbsp fresh cream(Optional)
- 1/2 cup cashew paste
- 1/2 tsp of dried fenugreek leaves(kasuri methi)
- A pinch of asafetida
- Oil or ghee for cooking
- Salt(as per your taste) and sugar,1/4 tsp.
- 1/2 tsp of garam masala powder(1/2 tsp pf ground cinnamon,cloves and cardamoms).
- At first cut the paneer into small cubes or long stirps.Soak it in warm water for 10 -15 mins and then slightly fry it in a pan for 2-3 mins with little oil and salt.Keep them aside.
- Now heat an another pan add the coriander seeds and the red whole chillis.roast them for a while and then grind them roughly in a mixer.
- Soak the cahsews for 15 mins in luke warm milk and make a paste.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the bay leaves and the cinnamon stick.
- When the flavor comes out then add the garlic paste and cook for few seconds on low flame.
- Now add 3/4 th of your chopped capsicum or bell peppers and the ground mixture of coriander and chill and fry them for few minutes.
- Then add the onion paste,ginger paste and the chopped tomatoes.
- Cook for few minutes until the oil starts to release.
- Now add your cashew paste and cook for a while.
- Now add the kasuri methi,pinch of asafetida ,and salt and little sugar.
- Mix all of them very well and cook for some time.
- After that just add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water.
- Cook for 2-3 mins and add the Paneer.
- Cook it for another 5-6 minutes.
- When the gravy becomes thick and paneer cubes become very soft sprinkle the garam masala powder and the fresh cream and remove it from the gas oven.
- Now heat little oil in an another pan.Fry rest of the chopped bell peppers and onion with little salt and pepper.
- At time of serving your kadhai paneer garnish it with the fried bell peppers and onion.