There is a proverb in Bengali which literally means "Not Utilizing things at proper time". It's so true for me. As long as I was in Kolkata or at my own small town I never felt any urge to eat Bengali sweets,. Now not getting those very easily I realize their importance....as well as their heavenly taste. Can you even imagine any of your celebrations without them? I know loads of sweets are available here also but one thing I should confess that nothing can beat the taste of our very own Bengali Sweets.
This time I made Chanar Jilipi at home .This is a very famous sweet all over the Bengal. Basically it's a fried sweet and process of making is almost similar with that of Pantua ,I posted earlier.
Here is the recipe:
- Chena( Cottage Cheese) : 2 cups
- Khoya or Mawa: 2 cups
- Semolina: 4 tbsp.
- Maida:2-4 tbsp.
- Ghee:1 tbsp
- Sodium Bi Carbonate(Edible Soda):1/4 tsp
- Sugar:6 Cups
- Water:2 cups
- Cardamom Powder:1/4 tsp
- Oil(White oil/ghee): 2 cups
Click on this link for the process of making chena and khoya.
- Make chena at home using low fat or full cream milk..
- You may use store bought or home made mawa(Click the given link)
- Soak semolina in 6 tbsp. of water.
- Mix the chena ,the mawa and the edible soda and rub until smooth and has no lump.
- Mixed soaked semolina with the powdered cardamom and add to the chena mix.
- Mix the maida with ghee and mix properly.
- Add this to the chena mix also.
- Now knead all of them into a smooth nice dough.
- Divide the dough into equal parts.
- Roll each potion in long strips. Shape into a coil Fix the two ends.
- Shape all the portions in the same way.
- Meanwhile prepare the sugar syrup with sugar and water.
- Keep in mind that the consistency of the syrup will be 1 -string.(only one thin string is formed when tested between thumb and forefinger.)
- Heat oil in a kadhai and fry the spirals until they are golden brown.
- Dip them into the warm syrup.
- Keep them immersed in syrup for 3-4 hrs so,that that jilipis or jalebis can completely soak in the syrup.
Enjoy Your Food..!!