Tangy Fish Curry is one of the Signature dishes of Assam and before I have tried this I didn’t have any idea about Assamese Cuisine. I learned the basic recipe from one of my Assamese Friend and she told that it is one of their very eminent fish preparations. The tangy taste of this dish comes from the use of tomatoes.
But the recipe I am going to share today, has a little twist. I made it slightly in a Bengali way.
So, here it is:
- Rohu Fish/Katla Fish:6-8 pieces
- Tomatoes(red/ripe): 2 chopped
- Tamarind Pulp: 1/2 tsp ( dissolved in water)
- Potato: 2 midium(cut in wedges)
- Onion: 1 large(thine sliced)
- Fenugreek (methi):1/4 tsp
- Mustard Seeds:1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder:1 tsp
- Salt and Sugar:As per Taste
- Green Chilli:2-4(optional)
- Kashmiri Mirch Powder:1 tsp(as per taste)
- Mustard Oil: 4 tbsp
- Coriander Leaves: For Garnishing.
- Marinate the fish with little turmeric powder and salt for 10 minutes.
- Shallow fry them in mustard oil till golden brown in color and keep them aside.
- Now heat 2tbsp of fresh oil in the pan and add methi for tempering.
- When the strong aroma of the methi or the fenugreek comes out discard them from the pan and temper with mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds start to splutter add the onions and fry then until translucent.
- Then add the chopped tomatoes.
- Cook untill the tomatoes become soft and pulpy.
- Add turmeric powder and kashmiri mirch powder
- Now add the potatoes, Green chillies, Chopped coriander leaves. Mix them well.
- Add 2-3 cups of water with the dissolved tamarind pulp.
- Adjust seasoning and add 1/2 tsp of sugar at this point of cooking,mix.
- .Cover cook until the potatoes become soft and you will get a thick consistency.
- Then add the fish pieces.
- Cover and cook for more 6-8 mins until the fishes become tender and well coated with the gravy.
- Turn off the heat and serve with steamimg hot rice.
- It taste aweosme and specially enjoyable by those who love the tangy twist.
Enjoy your food.....!!!!