Luchi (Deep Fried Flatbread) ar (And) Alur Chorchori (Potato Curry) ...A Complete Bengali Breakfast ..!!!
Luchi Aar Alur Chorchori,this illustrious Bengali Breakfast reminds me of the Sunday mornings ,when Maa prepared this for all of us. My brother and me couldn't even think of a single Sunday without this special breakfast made by her.
After my marriage I saw my husband similarly loves this combo. So from the very beginning of my married life, I have developed a habit to prepare it very often at home.
Though at the beginning I couldn't prepare perfect beautiful puffed luchi like Maa. But repeated trials and thorough instructions given by her helped me to learn the process of making perfect circle, soft and puffed luchi.
Now,I prepare it very often especially for my little girl as she loves it and eats without complaining. But more than eating she has a strong desire in making luchi and every time she rolls few luchi.But I simply love the imperfect shaped luchis ,made by her little hands . I know in future this is going to be one of my sweetest and most beautiful, refreshing memories.
Here is the Process :
- Maida/Flour: 2Cup
- White Oil(Moyan): 3 tsps.
- Salt:1/4 tsp
- Water: As per need
- White Oil : 2 cups(for frying)
- Take a mixing bowl and sieve the flour first and add salt.
- Then add the white oil or moyan.
- Mix them with your hand.
- Now gradually add water and knead them with hands very well to make a soft,firm nice dough.
- Keep in mind that that dough should not be very hard or sticky.
- Divide the dough into few small equal balls.
- Using rolling pin make round luchi.To avoid sticking use little oil while rolling them.
- Meanwhile add white oil in a kadhai and heat it very well.
- Once it is heated properly ,lower the flame to medium and add the luchi one by one and press them little with the slotted spatula(Chhanta).( Maa says it helps to puff the luchi)
- When one side of the luchi turns golden turn it and fry that side well.
- Repeat the same process for the other balls.
For Alur Chorchori(Potato Curry):
- Potatoes: 2 medium( Cut in cubes)
- Whole Dry Red Chilli:2
- Panchforon / Kala Jeera or Nigella Seeds: 1 tsp (Either one may be used)
- Turmeric Powder:1/2 tsp
- Oil(White/Mustard):2 tbsp.
- Wash,peel and cut the potatoes in small cubes.
- Heat oil in kadhai.Once it is heated properly add panchforon or kala jeera and the dry red chilli for tempering.
- When it starts to splutter add the potato cubes.
- Add Salt and turmeric powder.
- Mix well and on medium heat sauté the potato cubes for few minutes.Dont make it fry.
- Add water and cover.Cook until the potato becomes soft.
- Adjust the gravy increasing heat.The Alu Chorchori should not be very watery or very dry.
- Taste the salt.
- Turn off the flame and serve with fulko luchi.
Enjoy Your Food..!!