I was thinking hard since one of my food blogger friend has asked me for a special entry for her Easter Special Exhibition, going to be held at her Facebook Page. Moreover I was not feeling well physically. Realizing my confusion, my 4 year old encouraged me saying that " Mamma, don't worry, I will help you..." !! I was deliriously happy not only hearing her sweet words but also realizing her care for me. But still the question was there what should I prepare without creating much fuss in the kitchen. After a long thought I decided to prepare something in my own way. I felt that A Sweet Dish would be Best for my first entry.
And here it is...I have made Kesariya Chamcham with a little twist which turned out extremely good.
Before I write down the whole recipe I should give an introduction about chamcham (Bengali: চম চম) for those who don't have any idea about this. It is one of very common and famous sweets in Bengal and available widely in each and every sweet shop out there.
Here is the recipe:
- Full Cream/Low Fat Milk: 1 lt.
- Vinegar:2 tbsp.
- Sugar: 1 1/2 cup
- Water: 4 1/2 cup
- Kesar/Saffron: 2 pinch
- Milk: 2-3 tbsp.
- Khoya /Mawa: 1/2 cup
- Cardamom Powder :A pinch
- Pistachios: For Garnishing, 5/6(blanched and peeled
- Silver Warq:1(For garnishing)
Flattened Chamcham Before boiling..
And this was made by her.....
Soaking in thick syrup for 4-5 hrs.
How to make Chena:
- Boil the milk at low temperature.
- While boiling add the vinegar and stir it .
- Your milk will start to curdle and chena (chhana) will be formed after few minutes.
- When you will see a greenish diluted water which is easily separating from chena, then it's done.
- Now using a muslin cloth drain the water and wash the chena under the running tap water .If you are using lime juice to prepare chena, this wash will remove all the lemony taste or smell.
- Now tied the two ends of the muslin cloth tightly and let it drain all the excess water for at least 15-20 minutes. And at this time you may put a heavy weight on the muslin cloth for better draining.
How to Make Khoya/Mawa:
- Now make the mawa/khoya. I used to prepare it at home.
- Take 2-3 cups of powdered milk.
- Add 3-4 table spoon of milk into it.
- Make a dough and heat it at full power in the microwave oven only for 1-2 mins or even more to get the desired tightness. But give an extra care while microwaving to make sure that it don't get burnt.
- This time I kept my mawa little soft.
- Now make sugar syrup using the sugar and water in the exact quantity mentioned.
- The syrup should not be thick and will be on the thinner side.
- Keep it in mind that this is a very important step.
How to Make Kesariya Chamcham:
- Now take 2 table spoon of warm milk and soak the saffron in it for 15-20 minutes until the milk turns into nice yellow color.
- Mix the saffron milk to the chena and immediately it will turn into wonderful saffron color.
- Now mash the chena using your hands very well until there is no lump
- Divide the chena into equal parts. Using your palms make small ball from each part. Now press a little on your palm to give a flattened shape..Keep in mind that these shouldn't have any crakes in it otherwise it may break off while boiling into the sugar syrup.
- From 1 lt. milk you will get approximately 10 pieces of chamcham of equal size.
- Now leave the flattened chena balls in the previously made sugar syrup with the lid tightly covered and boil it for 20 -25 mins.
- The chamcham will be almost double of its size. So use a vessel in which the chamcham will be able to play around.
- Once done, take out the chamcham from the pan and keep them separately
- Now thicken the remaining syrup to half the consistency and transfer the chamchams into the thick syrup to soak 4-5 hrs.
- After 4-5 hrs. when the chamchams cool down completely,take them out from the syrup and place them on the serving plate. At this time the chamcham will be hard and sweet.
- Mash the mawa very finely with a spoon and mix it with little cardamom powder.
- Make small balls of mawa and place them over each chamcham and press them little.
- Garnish with peeled and blanched pistachios and silver warq to give them a more beautiful look.
- Mouth drooling chamcham is now ready to serve.
Enjoy Your Food..!!