During the scorching summer considerable amount of good quality Pointed Gourd (Potol) is found all over India & therefore it's obvious that various preparations of this vegetable will be found in every house.Alu Potoler Tarkari or Alu Potoler Dalna is one of the common Bengali Preparations .I became so nostalgic while I was making this curry on Last Sunday.Because, It has been a long time I didn't eat this curry prepared by Maa. Most of the time, she makes it for dinner and serves with roti. It's a very easy, humble and delicious curry. Like her other preparations most of the time she doesn't use onion and garlic in this curry.But I love her onion version most. So this time I made it adding onion .
Here is the simple recipe:
- Potol(Pointed Gourd):5-6
- Potato:2 (Medium)
- Onion: 1 (paste, thinly sliced)
- Ginger: 1 tsp.( Paste)
- Tomato: 1 (chopped)
- Cumin Powder:1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder:1 tsp
- Salt: As per taste
- Sugar: 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds: 1/2 tsp
- Dry Red Chilli:1-2
- Red Chilli Powder:1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder: 1/2 tsp
- Oil: 2 tsp
- Ghee: 1/2 tsp.
- Water:1 cup.
- Lightly skin the Potol( don't peel off all the skin, see the picture) and cut laterally into two equal halves. If its too large, then cut into 3 pieces.
- Wash and peel the potatoes and cut into medium cubes.
- Wash them and heat little oil in a kadhai.
- Add the potol and the potatoes and fry them until potatoes become golden yellow and the potols are slightly fried. Add pinch of salt and turmeric powder while frying them.
- Turn off the gas and keep them aside.
- On the same kadhai heat some fresh oil and add the cumin seeds and the dry red chilli for tempering. When the cumin seeds start to splutter add the sliced( or paste) onion. On medium flame fry the onion until translucent.
- Add the chopped tomato and cook until it becomes mushy.
- Then add the ginger paste ,turmeric powder, salt, sugar, cumin powder, red chilli powder.
- Cook it for 2-3 minutes and then add the fried Potato and the pointed gourd.
- Mix them with all the spices very well and cook until oil starts to release from sides.
- Now pour the water into the kadhai and cover. Cook on medium flame until the potatoes and potol become soft and boiled properly.
- Uncover , taste the seasoning and increase the flame little to adjust the gravy.
- On a separate pan heat ghee and add the garam masala powder. Fry it just for 1 min.
- Pour it on your curry and serve with rice or roti.
Enjoy Your Food..!!