Poppy Seeds / Posto is considered to be one of the most essential spices in a Bengali Kitchen. Well, in that case for me, it is something which helps me to survive in each and every situation. Those days, when I feel very energetic to cook something very special I decide to prepare at least one dish with "Posto" and the other days when I simply don't remain in the mood of cooking at all I again look for "Posto". Yes, we the bong people even love to eat the raw pappy seed paste with steaming hot rice. I don't know whether my Non Bengali friends have ever tried this or not but sometime I must share how I like to eat a lavish lunch or dinner with rice and "Posto Bata" (poppy seed paste) .
Anyway, today I am going to share a simple poppy seed recipe where potato and pointed gourd are cooked in the gravy of poppy seed paste. Though I am not a big fan of pointed gourd but whenever anything cooked with poppy seed paste, I never say a "no".
Here is the process of making Alu Potol Posto:
- Potato:2 (Medium, diced)
- Pointed Gourd: 4-6 (Peeled and diced)
- Poppy Seed Paste: 4 tbsp.
- Mustard Oil: 2-3 tbsp.
- Turmeric Powder:1 tsp.
- Chilli Powder:1/2 tsp.( Adjust according to your taste)
- Green Chilli: 2
- Salt: As per taste
- Water: 1 Cup.
- First peel off the skin of the Potol and snip off both the ends.
- Cut each one half lengthwise.
- Peel off the potatoes and cut in medium wedges.
- Heat mustard oil in a kadhai or deep bottomed vessel. Here I want to mention that for cooking something with the poppy seed paste mustard oil is the must for me. But those,who cant eat mustard oil due to its heady pungent taste may use any other oil also.
- When the oil becomes smoky and very hot add the Potato wedges and the pointed gourd.
- Sprinkle salt and turmeric powder and on medium flame slightly fry them for few minutes. But don't fry them too much.
- Now add the poppy seed paste, chilli powder and mix the paste with the potato and the pointed gourd.
- Stir it for another 4-5 minutes on medium to low flame.
- Then add water,give a nice stir and cover it.
- Cook until the potato and pointed gourd pieces become soft or boil.
- Uncover and increase the flame ,taste the seasoning, add salt if needed and adjust the gravy increasing the flame slightly.
- Add the green chilli ( you may add the green chilli at first also) and sprinkle one teaspoon of mustard oil on the top of the curry.
- Turn off the flame and serve with daal (yellow or red lentil) and steaming hot rice.
Enjoy Your Food..!!