Before I start to write the recipe , I would like to give a very brief introduction about Janmashtami Festival to all my Non Indian Friends. Sri Krishna is considered as the one of the most powerful human incarnations of the Lord Vishnu.The birthday of Lord Krishna is known as Janmashtami which is celebrated with great devotion and enthusiasm in India in the month of July or August. Being an Indian I am not an exception though I have very little knowledge about all the rituals of the puja. But I celebrate His birthday in my own way. I usually prepare a sweet dish , decorate my lord Krishna with lots of flower, light up diya & candles and then pray for my family in front of my god.
As a self proclaimed sweet lover, preparing dessert at home, gives me an immense pleasure and honestly, I never ever feel guilty while making or eating dessert. :P I believe that the feeling of guilt will restrict myself from enjoying its taste to the fullest.
Apple Kheer(sweetened milk) is a creative dessert where the grated apples are cooked with sugar , milk, ghee and cardamom powder. This is an ideal sweet dish for any type of fast or any festival or puja. I learned this recipe from my mother. I bet that the irresistible aroma of this dessert will attract your entire family and it will be relished by each and every member of the same.
Here is the process of making Apple kheer / Sev Kheer.
- Apples: 2 (Medium size,)
- Milk:1 lt.
- Cardamom Powder:1/4 the tsp.
- Sugar:1/3 Cup(adjust according to your taste)
- Dry Fruits :Chopped Cashews, Sliced Almonds, Slivered Pistachios.
- Ghee: 1 tsp.
- Take a deep bottomed vessel. Non stick vessel is preferable and pour the milk. Boil the milk until it reduces to half and becomes thick.
- Meanwhile grate the apples and heat ghee in an another pan . Add the grated apple to the pan and fry it for 3-4 mins in medium flame. Then add sugar and stir it continuously so that the sugar gets dissolved with the grated apple. At this point the grated apple will turn into a yellowish colour.
- Now add the apple mixture into the boiling milk and mix very well and add the cardamom powder.
- Simmer it for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the dry fruits and turn off the flame.
- Now your Apple kheer is ready.
- Serve it hot or chilled.
Enjoy Your Food...!