Being a Zoology student and an ex-lecturer in Zoology I know in detail the systematic position as well as the anatomy of this Arthropod. But I didn't get much chance to taste this animal. Neither my father nor my brother liked to eat this, so Maa cooked it very rarely. In our family only me, my mom and our maid servant were the crab lovers. But I ought to mention that we ate only the crabs which were caught from fresh water ponds or rivers which has a little sweeter taste and smell different from sea crabs. But after my marriage, during my tenure in abroad and after that currently in Mumbai I can only get sea crabs, of which the smell repels me a lot (Sorry to all my sea food lover friends). But I keep on searching and after a lot of probing I got fresh river crabs from a nearby departmental store. Nevertheless to say that almost in no time I bought few of them.
With Maa's recipe then I prepared this Crab Masala Curry . It's a simple and easy recipe but tastes very good indeed.
Here is the detail of the recipe:
- Crab: 4/5(Medium sized)
- Onion: 2 Large( make a smooth paste)
- Ginger: 11/2 inch ( Paste)
- Garlic: 7/8 cloves( crushed/paste)
- Tomato: 2 medium size ( chopped)
- Cinnamon Stick : 1
- Cloves: 4-5
- Cardamoms: 3-4
- Mustard Oil: 4tbsp.
- Cumin Powder: 1 tsp.
- Coriander Powder: 1 tsp.
- Sugar: 1/4 tsp.
- Turmeric Powder: 2 tsp.
- Chili Powder: 1 tsp.
- Salt: As per taste
- Water: 1 cup( preferably warm)
- Coriander Leaves: For Garnishing
- Clean and wash the crabs properly ( though in that case I am always dependent on the shop keeper) :P.
- Now add salt and turmeric powder to the cleaned and washed crabs and keep them aside for few minutes only.
- Then heat 2 tbsp of mustard oil in a kadhai(wok) and on medium flame fry the marinated crabs until golden brown in color. Take them out of the kadhai or wok and keep separately.
- Now discard the remaining oil from the wok and heat 2 tbsp more fresh mustard oil.
- Add the cinnamon stick, cardamom and the cloves.
- Let the aroma come out and then add sugar and the garlic paste.
- Fry for a while until the sugar becomes brown in color.
- Now pour the onion paste and cook on medium flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomato , salt , turmeric powder and the chilli powder.
- Mix well all the spices. Add the ginger paste , corinader and the cumin powder and cook until the oil starts to release from sides.
- Now add the crabs and mix with all the spices and cook for another few minutes on medium flame.
- Add 1 cup of warm water into the wok and cover and cook until the gravy becomes thick.
- Uncover, taste the seasoning, Add salt or sugar if required.
- Garnish it with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve it with plain hot rice.
Enjoy Your Food...!