The other day the man in my family bought some giant size tiger prawns from the nearby Pescafresh store (India’s leading sea food company) .I was delighted to see the sizes of the prawns. Penaeus monodon, the giant tiger prawn or Asian tiger shrimp (and also known by other common names), is a marine crustacean that is widely reared for food.
But I didn’t have any experience of cooking such giant size prawns at home so was thinking hard what to do with them. Then I thought of making Goan style prawn curry with them as we are very fond of Goan cuisine . But thinking of my little one who loves prawns very much but can’t eat spicy foods I modified it and prepared it in my own style.To be very honest it turned out delicious.
Lets start discussing the recipe:
- Asian Giant Tiger Prawns: 4-5 nos.
- Onion: 2 Large(Chopped)
- Tomato : 1 (chopped)
- Ginger Paste: 1tsp.
- Garlic :7-8 Cloves(Crushed)
- Yogurt:1 tbsp.
- Kashimiri Red Chili Powder: 1 tsp.
- Turmeric Powder:2 tsp.
- Salt: To Taste.
- Sugar: 1/2 tsp.
- Green Chili :1 (or as much as you want, I didn’t use even a single one)
- Curry Leaves: 7-8 leaves
- Freshly Ground Garam Masala Powder ((cinnamon 1inch,2 cardamoms,3 cloves): 1tsp.
- Mustard Oil: 3 tbsp.
- Coconut Cream: 2 tbsp. (if you are using coconut milk, add ½ cup of it)
- Fresh Cream: 1 tbsp.
- Water:1/2 Cup to 1 Cup (warm)
- At first peel and devein the prawns. If you get very fresh prawns try to keep the heads intact. Wash it thoroughly and marinate them with salt, turmeric powder for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a kadhai and fry the prawns till golden yellow.
- Now heat another 2 tbsp of oil in the kadhai and add the sugar , caramelize it and then add the crushed garlic and tomato.Give it a good stir and cook for few minutes, Once the tomato become little mushy add the chopped onions. Sprinkle little salt and cook until the onions become translucent. Then add the turmeric powder, salt,kashimiri red chili powder, green chili (if you are using) and the beaten yogurt. Here I just want to mention that to avoid curdling beat the yogurt with a pinch of wheat flour and little water. Cook until oil starts to release from the sides of the kadhai and all the spices are mixed with each other very well. Then add the coconut milk/cream and give a very nice stir.
- Turn off the flame and pour the cooked spices into a blender. Blend it till the spices become smooth.
- Now heat a cleaned kadhai and heat the remaining oil and then pour the spices paste into it. Soon it will start to boil. Immediately add a cup of warm water into it and mix. Add the fired prawns into it. Fry the curry leaves with little oil separately and add to the gravy now.Cook until the prawns are done and the gravy comes to your desired consistency. Add the fresh cream and give a nice stir.
- Taste the seasoning. Add sugar or salt if required.
- Turn off the flame and sprinkle the freshly ground garam masala powder.
- My version of goan prawn curry is ready to serve. Serve it with steaming hot rice. Believe me it tastes heavenly.
Enjoy Your Food...!!!!