There was a time in my life when I didn't have any idea about this Valentine day. First time, most probably when I was in 10th standard one of my friends told me about it. But I didn't understand properly. After returning home I searched the dictionary and got a very faint idea about the Saint Valentine's Day. Nowadays even my 5 year old daughter knows about it. But anyway, Love is the most wonderful feelings of the world which should be expressed in a special way. 14th February is observed to be celebrated as the Valentine's Day or Saint Valentine's Day or The Feast Of the Valentine. All over the world people celebrate this day in various exclusive ways. Day by day the craziness regarding the day is just increasing tremendously. But to be very honest I don't believe that any particular day is required or essential to celebrate my love. I think you can make your everyday or even every moment very special for your beloved one. Moreover I don't think that Valentine's day should be entirely related to the "couples" only. We can show our affection to all whom we love, be it our partner, be it our best friends, be it our parents or even children.
Anyway, not exactly because of celebrating this Valentine's day but just to see the smiling face of my little one and also to pamper my baking addiction, I made these frosted chocolate-buttermilk cakes yesterday. I chose chocolate flavor as it is her most favorite
Here is the entire process.
For the Cake:
- All Purpose Flour:3/4th Cup
- Sugar:3/4th Cup
- Cocoa Powder:6 tbsp( Preferably Dutch Process)
- Hot Water:4/5 tbsp.
- Baking Powder:1 tsp.
- Baking Soda:1/2 tsp.
- Salt:1/4 tsp.
- Unsalted Butter:3 tbsp (melted)
- Buttermilk:6 tbsp.
- Egg:1 large egg
- Egg White:white of 1 large egg.
For Icing( Buttercream):
- Unsalted Butter:1/2 cup (keep at room temperature)
- Icing Sugar:1 Cup
- Vanilla Extract:1/2 tsp.
- Preheat the oven in 170-180 degree C .Place the cup ckae liners into your cup cake baking tray.
- In a large mixing bowl mix the flour,sugar,baking powder,baking soda and salt.Set it aside.
- With an electric mixer mix the cocoa powder with the hot water and beat until a thick smooth paste is formed. It may require little more hot water. Mixing the cocoa powder with hot water will intensify the chocolate flavour.
- Now into this chocolate paste add the butter,buttermilk,egg and egg white. Beat until combined.
- Then Whisk in flour mixture till a smooth batter is prepared. You may use a electric mixer for this. But whaterver you use do not over beat it. Mix until smooth and no lump is present in the mixture.
- Pour the batter into the cupcake liners and bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 mins or until risen ,firm and a inserted toothpick into the cakes comes out clean.
- Now take these out of the oven and let it cool for sometime.
For the Buttercream :
- For the buttercream beat together the butter,icing sugar and vanilla extract until smooth.You may add any food color of your choice to the frosting.
- Spread or pipe a little of the buttercream on the top of the each cupcake.
- To make it more special ,make different shapes with fondant or buttersugar paste and decorate your cupcakes.You may use different edible colored sprinkles too.
For the Heart Shaped Cake:
- With the same batter, using a heart shaped mould I made an another cake. For this cake I baked it in the preheated oven for 20 - 25 mins. and decorated it with the same icing and fondant.
Enjoy Exclusively With Your Valentine...!