To be very honest , I am not a very big fan of eggplants or brinjal. Though my husband loves it but he is little bit allergic to it and therefore I don't cook this vegetable very often at home.But the other day, after making Purna di's special "Tok Jhal Ilish" ( Hilsha in Hot and Sour Gravy) , I had little left over spices paste which I made for the Hilsha preparation. I didn't discard the paste and with that out of curiosity I made a simple eggplant dish. I named it my version of Begun Bahar or Eggplants in Mustard sauce and Yogurt Gravy. It was really delicious . So, today I am going to share that simple recipe.
Here it goes :
- Eggplants/Brinjal:4/5 ( Small Ones)
- Mustard Seeds:11/2 tbsp.
- Cumin Seeds:1 tsp.
- Ginger:less than 1/2 inch.
- Green Chili:2/3
- Fresh Red Chili:2/3
- Turmeric Powder:11/2 tsp.
- Red Chili Powder: 1/2 tsp or as per your taste.
- Salt:To taste
- Mustard Oil:2 tbsp+1 tbsp.
- Yogurt:3 tbsp.
- Water:1 Cup (warm)
- At first soak the mustard seeds in little water for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Then discard the water and with little fresh water make a smooth paste of the mustard seeds along with the cumin seeds, ginger ,green chili and 1/2 tsp of salt.
- Now wash the egg plants and cut each of them length wise ,keeping the stem intact and without making them half. Smear the eggplants with little salt and turmeric powder and keep them aside for 2/3 minutes.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a deep bottomed vessel and add the eggplants in to it and fry them carefully. Don't overfry or burn them. You may cover the vessel for few minutes while frying to make it quickly. Once the eggplants become soft and turn little blackish in color then it's done. Take them out of the vessel and keep on a tissue paper to absorb the excess oil.
- Now discard the fried blackish oil and heat a table spoon of fresh oil into the vessel.
- Meanwhile take a bowl and make a smooth paste of the prepared mustard seed paste and the yogurt. Whisk thoroughly to get a smooth batter. Add red chili powder, pinch of turmeric powder, salt into the batter and whisk.
- Pour the batter into the hot oil. Stir well and add the slitted red chili and cook it for 3/4 minutes. After that pour the warm water into it.Once the gravy starts to boil add the fried eggplants into the gravy.Cover and cook for another few minutes until the gravy comes to your desired consistency.
- Uncover and taste the seasoning. If little more salt is required, add it.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve with steaming hot rice.
Enjoy Your Food.....!!!!