"Kathi"is a Bengali word that means stick or skewer which is generally used to make kebabs. Kathi Roll is a famous street food and it is said that it was originated in Nizaam Restaurant ( the famous restaurant which sold paratha and kebabs and other Mughlai foods),in Kolkata, India. The original kathi roll is kathi kebabs enclosed in a paratha(fried Indian flat bread). At the very beginning ,in Nizaam restaurant,the iron skewers were used to make the kebabs but later they moved to the bamboo skewer because of its light weight and easy availability. In this way, the name kathi roll was originated .But with time huge variants of this kathi roll have evolved and nowadays any type of Indian flat bread(roti, paratha ,romali roti or even naan) stuffed with any filling or stuffing (even when neither kebabs nor the kathi is involved) is called kathi roll.
Today I am going to share the recipe of Paneer Tikka Kathi Roll recipe where marinated and slightly fried paneer cubes are wrapped in chapati/roti ( whole wheat Indian flatbread). It is a very delicious and filling preparation which is equally good for the adults and the little ones.
So here goes the process.
A. For the Marinade:
- Unsweetened Yogurt:1/2 Cup
- Chili Powder:1/2 to 1 tsp.
- Turmeric Powder:1/2 tsp.
- Ginger Paste:1/2 tsp.
- Garlic Paste:1/2tsp
- Besan (Bengal Gram Flour):1/2 tsp.
- Chat Masala Powder:1/2 tsp.
- Garam Masala Powder:1/4 tsp.
- Kasori Methi,(Dried Fenugreek Leaves):1/2 tsp.
- Salt: To Taste.
B. For Paneer Tikka:
- Paneer/Cottage Cheese Cubes: 1 Cup
- Capsicum:1 medium (diced)
- Onion:1 medium (diced)
- Oil: 1 tbsp ( for greasing and cooking)
C. Few Other Ingredients:
- Onion Rings: 3/4 th Cup
- Chaat Masala: To Taste.
- Roti/Chapati :4 ( I made the rotis with the whole wheat bread, but you may used paratha or store bought tortilla too)
D. For Making Roti:
- Whole Wheat Flour: 1 Cup
- Water: Enough to make a soft dough.
- Salt: A Pinck
- Oil: 1 tsp.
Paneer Paneer Tikka
Stuffing the Roti..
- Take all the ingredients mentioned to prepare the marinade ( in A.) in a big bowl and add the paneer cubes, diced onions and diced capsicum.Mix very well. Keep it covered for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Mean while combine all the ingredients mentioned to prepare the roti ( in D.) and make a soft yet firm dough. Divide the dough into four equals balls. Using little wheat flour roll out each of the balls and make a round roti. Heat a tawa ( griddle ) and cook each of the round roti properly on both sides until the golden spots appear appear. Now carefully transfer it on the flame ( let it be in high flame).Let it puff and immediately transfer it to the casserole or hot pot. .You may make paratha also instead of roti or even you may use the store bought tortilla to warp the stuffing.
- Now heat a non stick tawa(griddle) or flat pan and grease it with the oil.Now on medium flame saute the paneer,capsicum and onion marinade for few minutes. Don't over fry it. Once it is done keep it separately.
- Now in a separate bowl mix the onion rings with the chaat masala.
- Then take a roti and place it on a clean,dry flat dish or plate. With a spoon add 1/4 th of the prepared paneer tikka and the chaat masala mixed onion rings and then covered the stuffing with the roti. If required insert a bamboo skewer in the middle of the wrap so that it cant open.
- Repeat the same process for the rest of the rotis.
- Serve & Enjoy.
Enjoy Your Food...!