দই চাই গো, দই চাই, দই চাই গো?
শ্যামলী আমার গাই,
তুলনা তাহার নাই। কঙ্কনানদীর ধারে ভোরবেলা নিয়ে যাই তারে--
The above lines are taken from the famous book, Gitabitaan, Rabindranath Tagore .It is said if anybody requires doi (sweet yogurt) which he has made from the milk of his dark/black colored cow................
Mishti Doi or Mitha Dahi or Sweet Curd is synonymous with Bengal in East India. Bengal is tremendously famous for their sweet preparation .Among all the sweets . the sweet curd or sweet yogurt or mishti doi is one of the most familiar desserts. Not only in Bengal this sweet yogurt is widely available in Odisha and in Bangladesh also.
It can be made very easily at home and it tastes great. Today I am going to share two different and easy recipes of making sweet yogurt at home.
The first one I followed this time.
Here it goes:
( Actually It is called Bhapa Doi, Baked Mishti Doi)
- Condensed Milk: 1 Can
- Whole or Full Fat Milk : 1 Can Or Evaporated Milk: 1 Can
- Unsweetened Yogurt : 1 Can ( 400 gm, I used Danone natural yogurt)
- Cardamom Powder:1/2 tsp.
- Brown Sugar/caramelized Sugar : 1 tbsp.
- Boil the full fat milk in a heavy bottomed vessel until it becomes thick and concentrated or till it becomes 1/2 of its original volume. Stir frequently to prevent the milk from scorching.Wait until the milk becomes lukewarm.But if you have evaporated milk, you don't need to do nothing.Use it as it is.
- Take a oven safe bowl and mix the concentrated milk, condensed milk and beaten unsweetened yogurt and the cardamom powder.The mixture should be smooth and there should be no lump.
- Caramelize the sugar in a different pan and pour it to the mix. Otherwise you may simply sprinkle the brown sugar on it.
- Preheat your oven to the lowest temperature (110-120 degree C for 5 minutes) and place the bowl inside it.Bake it at the same temperature for 15-20 minutes or until it sets.The timing may vary as the capacity of different oven is different.
- Once it is done take it out of the oven. Sprinkle the chopped pistachios on the top and refrigerate it . Serve when it becomes chilled.
Making Sweet Yogurt Without Baking:
- Full Fat Milk: 1 lit.
- Yogurt:2/3 tbsp.
- Sugar:250 gm.
- Boil the full fat milk in a heavy bottomed vessel until it becomes thick and concentrated or till it becomes 1/2 of its original volume.Stir frequently to prevent the milk from scorching.Wait until the milk becomes lukewarm.
- Put the sugar in a different pan and heat it over a low temperature and allow it melt .Once it becomes brown in color or caramelized , add the concentrated milk into the sugar and mix well.
- When the milk and the sugar are mix with each other add the yogurt into it and mix thoroughly to get a lump free mixture.
- Now pour the mixture in different container and keep it in warm and dark place for mishti doi to set. The best taste of mishti doi is obtained if it is kept in earthenware pot.
- Once the mishti doi has set and firm refrigerate it for few hours to make it chill and then serve.
Enjoy Your Food...!