Saffron Pulao or Kesariya Pulao is a very exotic,aromatic long grain basmati rice ( A long grain rice which is famous for its delicate flavour and fragrance, the word Basmati means, "queen of fragrance" in Hindi) preparation. It is also known as Zafrani Pulao. In North India during every special occasion saffron pulao is prepared.In this preparation, long grain basmati rice is usually cooked with nuts and saffron.I love this pulao because of its heavenly flavour and very delectable taste. Moreover it is very easy to prepare too.
I get huge appreciation from my guests whenever I make this rice during any dinner or lunch party at my home . But to be very honest it is one of the very easy rice preparation which can be made very quickly without much effort.
Here is the recipe for you all.
- Basmati Rice: 2 Cups
- Almonds: 10/12( blanched, peeled and thin sliced)
- Cashewnuts: 12/14
- Raisins: 20/25
- Saffron:2/3 generous pinch
- Saffron/Kesar Essence: 1/2 drops
- Milk:1/4 th Cup
- Water:4 Cups.
- Ghee( Clarified Butter): 4 tbsp.
- Cinnamon Stick:1
- Cloves: 2/3
- Green Cardamom Powder:1/2 tsp.
- Nutmeg Powder:1/4 th tsp.
- Garam Masala Powder(1-2 tsp of ground green cardamom, cloves and cinnamon) : 1/2 tsp.
- Salt : to taste.
- Sugar (Preferably powder sugar) :1/4 to 1/2 Cup ( adjust according to your choice)
- Kewra water: few drops.
- At first soak the rice in water for 15- 30 minutes.
- Now cook the rice till 60% done. While boiling your rice add 1 tsp of lime juice, 1/2 tsp of garam masala powder and 1 tsp of white oil .The white oil will help to keep the rice grains separated from each other, lime juice will make the rice more whitish and the garam masala powder will bring a nice flavour to the rice.
- Once the rice is cooked drain the excess water and keep it in a flat surface.
- Now heat 1 tsp of ghee in a deep bottomed vessel and gently fry the almonds, cashewnuts and raisins. After frying at very low flame for few minutes take them out of the vessel and keep separately.
- Now heat the rest of the ghee and add the cumin seeds and the cinnamon stick, cloves and cardamoms and fry till the aroma comes out. Once you feel the fragrance add the rice into the vessel and very gently stir it at medium flame for few minutes. Now add the cardamom powder and the nutmeg powder, salt, sugar and mix very gently.
- Meanwhile boil the milk and soak the saffron strands into it.Pour 1 -2 driops of kesar /saffron essence in to it.Add the milk into the rice. Then add the fried raisins , cashews and almonds. Stir once and cover the vessel for few minutes.
- Just after 4/5 minutes uncover it,give a gentle stir and sprinkle the garam masala powder(optional).Pour 2/3 drops of kewra water into the rice. But be careful while adding this as this water has a very strong flavour.
- Now your saffron pulao/zafrani Pulao is ready to serve. Serve it garnishing with chopped nuts and raisins along with Chicken or mutton preparations.
Note: I would like to prepare my pulao with the precooked rice . But you may prepare it in the following way too. Just soak the rice for 15 minutes in water and instead of cook it before add it to the vessel after tempering with cumin seeds and whole garam masala. Then along with the saffron milk, sugar and salt add 3 1/2 cups of water and cover the vessel and cook until the rice is done. the rest of the process is similar.
Enjoy Your Food...!!!!!