The other day when my hubby bought few Black Pomfret steaks from the super market I got little baffled as I never cooked it before . Moreover in my life, I never tasted this fish even as I am very choosy regarding the matter of non vegetarian food items. But I didn’t want to hurt him anyway and got ready to try it something differently other than usual pomfret fry. I prepared the fish with using mustard paste and coconut milk and the result was heavenly according to the other two members of my family.
Today I am going to share that recipe . It is very simple and can be prepared very hastily too.
Here is the process:
- Black Pomfret Steaks: 5/6
- Mustard Paste: 2 tbsp (very fine paste)
- Coconut Milk Powder: I used one small packet of magi coconut milk powder(25 gm) which I dissolved in half cup of water .You may use any other or homemade coconut milk too.
- Yogurt: 1 tbsp .
- Salt: To Taste.
- Turmeric Powder: 1 tsp.
- Red Chili Powder: 1 tsp ( adjust according to your tolerance)
- Mustard Oil: 2-3 tbsp.
- Green Chili : 2 nos . (slit vertically)
- Water: 1 Cup (warm)
- At first wash and pat dry the black pomfret steaks. Marinate them with little turmeric powder, salt and 1 tsp of mustard oil. Keep them aside for few minutes.
- Now heat 2 tbsp of mustard oil in a deep bottomed vessel and carefully fry the fish steaks till golden brown in color. Take them out of the vessel and keep them on a tissue to absorb the excess oil. Discard the blackish oil in the pan.
- Now take a bowl and mix the fine mustard paste, dissolved coconut powder, turmeric powder, salt, red chili powder, and the yogurt . Whisk thoroughly to get a very smooth and nice paste.
- Now heat 1 and a ½ tbsp of fresh mustard oil in a wok and add the green chili first . Now pour the paste into it. Stir on medium flame for 3-4 minutes and then pour a cup of warm water.
- Let it boil for 2-3 minutes and add the fishes. On medium flame again cook it until the fish becomes tender and well coated by the spices paste. Check the seasoning. Cook until your desired consistency but don’t forget that this fish preparation doesn’t have much gravy. So once the fish becomes well coated by the spices, turn off the flame.
Enjoy Your Food..!!