Posto or poppy seeds ,which is drawn from the opium plant (Papaver somniferum) is one of the most imperative components of any Bengali Kitchen. We deem a full course Bengali meal imperfect without this. There are copious preparations in which we use poppy seeds paste as the key ingredient. Not only that in many fries we intersperse the whole poppy seeds to augment the deliciousness. Amongst all the preparations of poppy seeds Alu Posto( potato and poppy seeds paste curry) and Postor bora or poppy seeds cakes are enormously trendy and most admirable Bengali Delicacies. But eating raw poppy seeds paste with steaming hot rice is my most favorite. Ahhh Heaven...!!! I will definitely share the experience with you someday.
Now lets discuss some of other good magnitudes of Poppy seeds.Besides its luscious and mouth watering taste this is good for human health too. Poppy seeds are highly nutritious, and less allergenic than many other seeds and nuts. These are a potential source of anti-cancer drugs. Moreover it is very helpful in digestion and rich in carbohydrate and calcium too.
Today I am going to share a little off bit recipe of poppy seeds. Out of inquisitiveness I prepared a different type of curry with the poppy seeds cakes. After making poppy seed paste cakes or postor bora I made Malaicurry with those.If the truth be unfold ,I also never tried or tasted it before but it was simply cherished by my other two family members, even I also liked it very much.
Here is the recipe for you ….!!
For Making Postor Bora:
- Poppy Seeds Paste: 1 Cup + 1 tbsp.
- Coconut ( Freshly Grated or Frozen) : 3 -4 tsp.
- Onion : 2 small ( very finely chopped)
- Green ChiliL :2 (Chopped)
- Salt: As required.
- Maida(White flour) :2 tsp.
- Mustard Oil : 1 tbsp + for frying.
For The Curry:
- Cinnamon Stick:1
- Onion:2 tbsp ( Paste)
- Ginger:1 1/2 tsp.
- Garlic:1 1/2 tsp ( Crushed)
- Tomato Puree:2 tbsp.
- Salt:to taste
- Sugar:1/4th tsp.
- Turmeric Powder:1/2 tsp.
- Kashmiri Red Chili Powder:2 tsp.
- Coconut Milk: 1 cup ( I used 1 small packer of maggi coconut powder which I dissolved in a cup of water)
- Poppy Seeds Paste:1 tbsp.
- Mustard Oil : 2 tbsp.
- Water:1/4 -1/2 Cup ( warm)
How to Make Postor Bora:
- At first mix 1 cup of poppy seeds paste with green chili, onion, grated coconut, salt, mustard oil and maida. The idea of adding coconut in the popp seeds paste I learned from one of my friend. You may skip it too. But dont forget to add little flour while you are going to make curry with your poppy seeds cakes. It will help to keep the poppy seeds cake firm and these wont break easily.
- Once yout mixture is ready make few flattened balls keep them aside.
- Heat a little mustard oil in a pan( preferably non stick pan) and shallow fry them until golden brown in color.
- Your postor bora is ready. Take them out of the pan and keep them on a tissue paper to absorb the excess oil.
you can serve these with steaming hot rice and lentil too.
How to prepare the Malai Curry:
- Heat the rest of the mustard oil in a pan and then add the sugar. On medium flame fry the sugar till brown and then add the cinnamon stick, cloves and cardamoms.Fill the fragrance and then after 2-3 minutes add the tomato puree. Give a nice stir . Then add the onion paste. ginger paste ,salt and kashmiti red chili powder.
- Keeping the flame in low to medium cook thoroughly until oil starts to release from the sides of the pan. At this time you will find that the spices mix tends to leave the pan. Now add the coconut milk and a 1/4 th cup of warm water.Let it boil for few minutes.
- Then add the fried poppy seeds cakes or postor bora. Do not cook them for a very long period of time as they can break off.
- Once these gravy becomes thick and the postor bora become more soft and tender and well coated by the gravy turn off the flame.
- Serve with steaming hot rice.
- Trust me it's blissfully delicious.
Enjoy Your Food...!!