Butter Fish or Machchli Makhanwali is my little one’s one of the most desired fish preparations. I sometimes make this especially for her and serve with some pulao or rice dishes. The procedure is not very complicated .It just needs few more ingredients than the other simple fish recipes and that’s all. Any type of fishes can be used in this preparation, especially bhetki( Lates) or Surmai ( King Fish)are the best options. But I prepare it with any of the fishes according to the availability .This time I made it with Katla and the taste was immensely good.
Here is the procedure:
- Fish Steaks: 5/6 (Washed, Pat Dried)
- Salt: 1 tsp for marinating fish + Cooking
- Turmeric Powder: 1tsp + ½ tsp.
- Red Chili Powder: ½ tsp (Adjust according to your choice)
- Sugar: ¼ tsp.
- Oil: 1 tbsp .White oil.
- Butter: 2 tbsp.
- Ginger Paste:1 tsp.
- Onion Paste: 2 tbsp
- Garlic Paste: ½ tsp.
- Tomato Puree: 3 tbsp.( I used store bought tomato puree, you may prepare it fresh)
- Cashew Paste: 2 tbsp.(Soak 10-12 nos cashew nusts in half cup of warm milk for 10-15 minutes and blend it in a mixer grinder to make a smooth paste).
- Poppy Seeds Paste: 1 tsp.
- Yoghurt: 2 tbsp.( Whisk the yoghurt properly with little water and a pinch of flour to avoid curdling)
- Water: 1 Cup (warm)
- Cinnamon Sticks: 1
- Green Cardamoms: 2-3 nos.
- Cloves: 3-4 nos.
- Sha jeera (Caraway Seeds) :1/2 tsp.
- Fresh Cream: 1 tsp. ( Optional)
- Wash and pat dry the fish steaks and marinate them for 10- 15 minutes with little salt, turmeric powder and a 1tsp of white oil.
- Now take a deep bottomed vessel. Heat the butter first and melt it and then add 1 tsp of oil into it. Mix and once it becomes very hot, reduce the flame and fry the fishes on both sides slightly. But don’t over fry them. You can keep the fish without frying but personally as I don’t like to cook raw fish I always fry them before adding them into the gravy. Take them out of the vessel and keep aside.
- Now discard the remaining butter-oil mixture in the vessel. Add some fresh butter and once it melts add 1 tsp of white oil and make it hot. Add the cinnamon sticks, cloves and the cardamoms. Fry for 30 seconds. Feel the fragrance and then add the caraway seeds. Let it splutter for few seconds. Then add the sugar, fry till brown.
- Add the garlic paste, make a quick stir and add the tomato puree. Mix well. Add the onion paste and mix thoroughly. Add the salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder and mix well. After 3-4 minutes add the ginger paste. Stir well and add the poppy seed paste, whisked yoghurt and the cashew paste.
- Cook until oil starts releasing from the sides of the pan. Then add the a cup of warm water into the vessel ,give a very nice stir . Increase the flame little and let the gravy boil for few minutes.
- Now add the fried pieces of fish and cover. On low flame cook until the fish steaks become very soft ,tender and the gravy becomes thick and coats the fishes well.
- The butter fish prepared in this way is soft like cotton and almost melts in the mouth. You may pour a teaspoon of fresh cream on top and then serve with Pulao or rice dishes.
Enjoy Your Food...!!!