Looking for a distinctive Sunday lunch recipe for your family ? I have an excellent recipe to share with all of you which would not only satisfy your weekend cooking spree but also you would be able to treasure a big smile on the faces of your much-loved ones.
Chicken Masala or Spicy Chicken Curry…!!!! A Bengali style chicken recipe which is also perfect for any party or get together. Though generally it is served with Mishti Polao( Bengali Style Sweet Fried Rice) but it is equally good when served with hot steaming rice. The colour & the flavour of this preparation depend on the right amount of spices, seasonings and proper marinating process. Especially use of the freshly ground cinnamon sticks, cloves and cardamoms( Garam masala) makes a lot difference in its flavor.
Here comes the recipe:
Here comes the recipe:
- Chicken : 1 kg
- Yoghurt (preferable hung curd): 1 cup
- Ginger Paste(very smooth):2 tsp
- Garlic paste : 2 tbsp
- Red Chili powder : 1 tsp(or as per your tolerance)
- Kashmiri Red Chili powder : 1 tsp
- Finely sliced onion :2 cups (No Onion Paste)
- Bay leaves:2
- Cinnamon sticks : 2 ( 1” each)
- Green cardamom :2
- Cloves :2
- Black Pepper Powder: 1 tsp.
- Nutmeg Powder:1/4th tsp.
- Sugar : 2 tsp
- Salt : To taste
- Mustard oil : ¼ -½ cup
- Hot water:1-1.5 cups
- Ground garam masala:1 tsp (cinnamon 1inch,2 cardamoms,3 cloves).
- Marinate the chicken in yoghurt,ginger paste, garlic paste, salt, ground garam masala,black pepper powder,2 tbsp of mustard oil and about 1 tsp sugar for a 2-3 hours. For an excellent result marinate it for 8 hours or overnight.
- Heat the remaining mustard oil.
- Add the remaining sugar and caramelize to a golden brown colour.
- Temper with bay leaves and the whole cinnamon sticks, cloves and cardamoms. Feel the frangrance and add the sliced onions.
- Fry the sliced onion with pinches of salt till the onion becomes soft.
- Add the chicken, both red chili powders,salt and stir well for a few minutes.
- Cook the chicken in simmer covering with a lid until the oil comes out from sides.
- Add the hot water and cover till the chicken becomes very soft and the gravy becomes thickened.
- Taste the seasoning. Add salt or sugar if requires.
- Turn off the flame and your chicken masala is ready.
- Serve this with plain rice , fried rice or even with roti or nun.
Enjoy Your Food..!!!