Winter is the time for comfort…it is the time for good food and also for the warmth and harvesting. In fact, winter is the season of 4F's. Flowers, Functions, Fairs and Festivals. In a single word Indian winter is a season of pleasure, consummation and satisfaction.
Enormous amount of fruits and vegetables are obtainable in the market this time. So is found in everybody’s house and therefore very obviously several kinds of food items are prepared in every house this time, as it is said that winter months are good for the digestion even.
Though here in Mumbai cold weather is a myth and our wardrobes remain almost the same throughout the year in this city and the only concession for this so-called winter is to reduce the speed of the fan, still all types of winter vegetables, fruits and flowers are available here also during the season.However, I remember the lovely winter days I spent in Bengal. Maa used to cook so many dishes with winter vegetables which we simply love. One of them is Chicken stew with loads of winter veggies. Yes, Today I am going to share the recipe of Chicken Stew which is impeccable for the cold days.
So, here comes the recipe of my version of Chicken Stew:
- Chicken: 500 grams.(cut in small cubes)
- Onion: 1 medium (chopped)
- Garlic: 8-10 cloves (crushed)
- Potatoes: 2 medium (Cut in small cube)
- Olive Oil Or White Oil: 1 tablespoons
- Mustard Oil: 1 tbsp.
- French beans: 6-8(Cut in small pieces)
- Button Mushrooms :5-6 (cut in halves)
- Whole wheat flour (atta): 1-2 tablespoons
- Carrots: 1 large (diced)
- Chicken stock/Water: 3 cups
- Salt: To taste
- Black pepper powder: 1/2 teaspoon
- Milk: 1/2 cup
- Marinate the chicken pieces with little salt, pepper ,mustard oil and half of the garlic and keep it for 10-15 minutes.
- Heat olive oil or white oil in a non stick pan, add chopped onion and rest of the crushed garlic garlic and sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Now add potatoes and carrots into the pan and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Then add the marinated chicken and continue to sauté for few more minutes. Add the mushrooms and French beans into the pan.
- Then add whole wheat flour to the chicken and mix well. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Add chicken stock, salt, pepper powder and mix well. Cover and cook till the chicken is almost done. Add the milk and cook for 5-7 minutes. Serve hot with toasted bread.
Enjoy Your Food..!!