This is a laid-back fabulous method of making mutton which I learned from one of my friends . After few discrepancies today I am going to share my sort of making Mustard Mutton Curry.
Here it is:
- Mutton: 500gm
- Yogurt: 2 tbsp.
- Turmeric Powder: 1/2 tsp.
- Salt: To taste
- Mustard Oil: 3-4 tbsp
- Onion: 3 medium sized, chopped
- Ginger Paste: 1 tbsp.
- Garlic Paste: 1 1/2 tbsp.
- Green Chili: 2 nos. ( You may increase the number and adjust the hotness according to yout choice)
- Black Mustard seeds : 11/2 tsp.
- Curry Leaves: 4-5
- Garam Masala Powder : 1/2 tsp.
- Warm Water : 1/2 Cup.
- Soak the mustard seeds in the warm water for half an hour. Soaking the mustard seeds in warm water and grinding it with the green chilies reduce the pungent flavour of the mustard.
- But before grinding throw away the soaking water and use fresh water to make a smooth paste. Then sieve the mix with a strainer to get rid of any thick particles of mustard left.
- Marinate the mutton with yogurt turmeric powder, salt and half of the mustard oil for 1-2 hours.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add curry leaves and chopped onions. Fry til the onions become soft and translucent. Then add the ginger and garlic paste. Mix well and then add in the marinated mutton.
- Cook until the oil comes out. Mix the mustard -chili paste into the mutton. Give a nice stir and pour the warm water.
- Cover the lid of the pressure cooker and cook until 2/3 whistles come out.Turn off the flame.
- Uncover and taste the seasoning. Add salt or sugar if required. Increase the flame to adjust the gravy. This mutton preparation has a thick gravy so do not add much water. Turn off the flame.
- Sprinkle the garam masala powder and cover the lid for a minute so that the curry could absorb the aroma.
- Your Mustard Mutton Curry is now ready. Drizzle raw mustard oil.
- Serve hot with steaming hot rice.